For toddlers or small children you need affordable activities that won’t break the bank. We recently had to occupy a dozen or so children who were 5 and under. My wife found the most creative and relatively simple craft on Pinterest, making a city out of cardboard boxes.
The craft is ridiculously easy and doesn’t require many tools. The only things you’ll need are:
- A box cutter
- A Sharpie/ magic marker or paint
- A series of boxes
- Stand the box upright and tape the flat part shut.
- Use the box cutter to cut off one of the lids on the other side of the box.
- Tape the remaining lids to each other so they can support the box.
- Use the box cutter to cut out windows, jail bars or whatever theme you’re going for.
It took me just 15 minutes to make this entire city-and it looks like it. Once I finished and saw how cool they looked I wanted to paint them, make a car and bring out my inner architect. After a quick search online I saw people who made trains, city blocks and many big scale projects with these boxes. Unfortunately, the children were just about to arrive so I didn’t have time.
- Get boxes in all different shapes
- Start early so you can paint them if you want to
- If you don’t paint them, at least put more colors or decorations on them than I did.